Business & Public Sector engineer
We're passionate about helping businesses of all sizes succeed. From big household names, government and public sector organisations right through to small businesses and new start-ups, we help organisations use the power of technology to create possibilities.
It's only by broadening and deepening our relationships with the many customers we serve and by winning new customers, that we'll achieve our ambitious growth goals.
Do you want to join Business and Public Sector? We're looking for people who:
- Want to make a difference
- Are ambitious and ready to seize opportunities
- Want to do the best job they can
- Like working in a team
BT engineers have diverse backgrounds, with varied experiences. We're looking for engineers with an ability to connect with people, and a willingness to get stuck in. There's no such thing as a typical BT engineer.
We're looking for people who are:
- Able to make a connection with our end customers in their workplaces and homes.
- Happy working outdoors. Whether it's glorious sunshine or bracing the NI weather, our engineers are out connecting people.
- Able to embrace technology. Nothing too scary and we will always support you, but you need to be happy with phones and computers, and ready to learn as new tools emerge.
- Ready to do your best. The sort of person who always sees a job through and takes pride in doing it properly.
- Physically fit. You don't need to be a marathon runner, but will need to be fit enough to safely climb a telephone pole and carry a ladder.
- Prepared to roll up your sleeves. You'll be delivering the backbone of our network - which means getting your hands dirty from time to time.
BNPS Power Operations, Planning & Design Technical Apprenticeship
From day 1 you will be joining a team of experienced engineers who will support and teach you the skills required to support BT's internal power network. The key elements of the role include the Design, installation & maintenance of power and cooling mechanical & electrical systems and services to meet target completion dates for our customers. The Operational systems include:-
- Fixed and Mobile Standby Generator Sets.
- Cooling & Ventilation Equipment.
- AC & DC Distribution and associated switchgear.
- DC Power Systems.
- Fire Flood and Gas Detection Systems.
- UPS Power Systems.
- Street Furniture.
- Supervision of Capital & Operational Investment Programmes.
You will be responsible for ensuring that technical, quality environmental regulatory and compliance and health and safety standards and specifications are met.
You'll be trained up to industry standard qualifications and certifications, alongside internal specialist training. You will also be given time to study for your NVQ & BTEC.
The power engineers' role is extremely varied and no two days are the same which is both interesting and rewarding.
Does this sound like the career for you?
Don't be put off from applying because you haven't done something similar before - we have the best training in the business to equip you with the new skills you need. If you're the type of person who likes fixing problems and is passionate about customer service, then we want you to apply. We're ready to provide you with a world class training experience. You just need to be customer focused, and be willing to get stuck in.
Our apprenticeships are designed so they offer a structured programme that develops the skills that you need to excel. Along the way there are targets and checks to make sure you are supported and are making progress.
Great! You'll need to go through a few pre-employment checks before you can start - you'll need a full driving licence with no more than six points on it, and you'll need to pass our eyesight and colour-blindness checks. Also, just so you know the standard working week is 37.5 hours.
BNPS engineer - You will need to have achieved or are predicted 4 GCSEs at grade C or above including English Language and Maths. In addition you will need to have a full driving licence.
BNPS Power Operations - You will need to have achieved or are predicted 4 GCSEs at grade C or above including English Language and grade B Maths. In addition you will need to have a full driving licence.
Equivalent grades are accepted.
We only accept one application to our Apprentice Programme, so please only apply to your first choice. If you're interested in more than one of our roles you can state this on your application, we can then consider you for all of the vacancies you have selected.